Monday 26 September 2016

Using Maya Modelling 14/09/16


 This was my first time trying to properly use 3d modelling in Maya. It did not turn out too well. Even though I have a much better grasp on what in was doing by the end of the session.

This was in contrast to using 3ds max for modelling. The main concern was because of that, the programs have (mostly) the same tools, the issue was that they accessible in completely different ways. It was trying to find the tools considering that the interface is completely different even though the main screens are the same.

I was able to identify a few tools that were familiar (such as extrude and connect), however there were also some new ones such as poke and familiar tools such as cap with different names. The images on the right were a result of tools such as Geo mirror (which is why half of the spheres are green), also what is left of my project because Maya has a habit of shutting down without you wanting it to. So a note for the future is save the work before a major change (rendering) and saving in 20 minute intervals regardless.

I also had a major issue for a while because of a tool known as "soft select", it is activated as a short key by B. The problem was I accidentally hit it, but had no indication that I did so. It alters any editing of the models by pulling the mesh by the vertices for a certain amount depending on the pulling.

I know that this is the development stage of using the program and I will get better but the question is 'Will I get better at Maya than 3ds Max?'.

No comments:

Post a Comment