Saturday 1 April 2017

The Issues With Baking

I am determined to finish my industry standard project however another problem keeps popping up everyday. With the final stretch being in sight but with another roadblock, the phrase 'So close yet so far' is very reminiscent.

My issue is that when baking down the high poly models to the low poly models is that either (my fault) the UV's don't align with each other. That forces me to re-texture the model, though the sculpting is able to bake on the low poly normal map. It must been taken into Mudbox again to finish it (like the typewriter body).

My second issue is that even if they match up the result is just bad (look at the lever arm). Apparently, this is just because of the software view and when rendered it looks better however I rendered it and it still looked bad. I just don't know how to deal with this. For now I have ignore it to complete the other objects.

At least I have finish two parts of the typewriter that are ready for the final scene. For the rest of the objects if baking doesn't work with the textures then get the sculpt from the normal map and import them into Mudbox to finish the texture.

Something else I have learned is that there is no need to add extra smooth layers to models when you are not going to use them. It just adds more to render time.

My next steps are to see which objects need to be sent back for texturing and those that don't to finish this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment