Sunday 13 March 2016

Next Gen 08/03/16 Art and Modelling


This week it was another exercise based on creativity of modelling and concept art. Firstly we had to draw concept art based on a small section of the Harry Potter books, without any context. The scene was of when Harry arrives in Diagon Alley. The main idea of the image is based around 'He wished he had more eyes'. The idea of the image was that there was a bunch of really wondrous items in the shop window (books, brooms, potions, etc). While the face is staring at the more odd/disgusting items including the bat spleens and (specifically)  the frog eyes. Since the writing could have been interpreted in any way this was the (slightly creepy) way I interpreted it.

The other main point of the task was to either make a futuristic bedroom (which I and 70% of the group chose) or a magical shop. It was firstly drawn as a concept drawing with a few thumbnails first of what could be in the drawing. After the limit, we then modeled a object in the room that we made up. The object that I came up with was a cross of a wardrobe and a door. The idea behind was that the user would open the doors, then the panel would appear. They would input what clothes they would what on the panel. Confirm, and step through and it would atomise on the user, without all of the hassle of morning dress up.

The first attempt I made on this ended after around 2 hours of work the program cut and I lost all progress. Afterwards I tried again with a different approach. The objects for the model are mostly separate. The only thing similar were that the doors and emitters (inside the doorway) had to be copied. I am also working on a polygon that can be transparent to make glass inside the doorway. I have not began work on the textures yet, however something I noticed was that most sci fi human inventions and ships are quite bland in terms of texture.  As shown in the image, it is mostly grey, white or black. So for my model I wanted to do something more stylised (think of it like combining hidden spy rooms (things from the Bond movies or Men in Black) and futuristic utopias (like the original Bioshock).

The only other main thing I could do in terms of design is move the point of origin on some objects to allow it to pivot, so it has functionality.

No comments:

Post a Comment