Friday 18 November 2016

Finishing my Character Model for Now

This is going to be the final update on my Golem for a few months because now we are going to focus on the Environment Design Project.

In this final week, I have textured the model with multiple paint layers and multiple layer types. However firstly, don't paint the model after all of then detail has been because it can erode away the detail. The way that this works, is that the brush that you use has a strength power like the sculpting tools.

 Another point, is that I kept getting this message again and again when trying to paint the model. Apparently, it was because some of the polygons in my UV unwrapping didn't make it inside of the tile border. Although I could not find any proof of this.


The colours that I used were mostly grey and beige to give a rock and stone skin, mixed in with some brown to give an impression of dirt. The light blue was an idea to give the model more life and intrigue. The way that I did this was through different layers of texture. Diffuse was used for the basic colours in the image and a new paint layer 'incandescence'. This new layer adds major shine to the colour you are applying, you can also edit the brightness of the texture to give it more life. Then I applied a stamp to the model, to add extra texture detail, this is the result of the black veins across the model.



Once the textures were fully applied, I then move a high and low poly version of the model back into Maya. The models were then baked together on a normal map low give the low poly version of the model the detail of the high poly model, just like with the cube 2 weeks ago.

This was the result, from this angle they appear very similar even though the low poly version (the one on the left) has less poly's to work with.

Even with the extra lighting effect, they are remarkably similar. Plus, in the lower light some of my original detail got through the texture.

After this long road of work I am happy to end this stage of my character modelling here for now, given that we will be working on other projects this going to stay here for now.

My high points are that, the detail and modelling in Mudbox went well, the texturing went well with the model, the overall look is pretty good for a first character model and I finished this project before its deadline. The bad points are, while the UV editing is better in Maya than in 3ds Max it still took a while to get right, the first stages of modeling could have gone better (with multiple errors) and remembering to save my work around 20 minutes every time in Maya to be safe from it not crashing and losing a lot of work. So overall I think that it turned out good but I can do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment